NEW: 560,000 Pound Truck Stopped in Rhode Island Since June Gets Permit to Leave

Monday, July 10, 2017
GoLocalProv News Team and Kate Nagle

Bay Crane attorney Michael Kelly
A truck stuck on Route 4 in Rhode Island since the end of June, that was stopped for carrying an oversized load, has finally been issued a permit to resume travel, according to the truck company's attorney Michael Kelly.

Kelly represents Bay Crane Northeast, who was operating the truck that was carrying a load weighing 560,000 pounds from Quonset to be delivered in Massachusetts -- which Kelly said the company believed had the proper permits to travel. 

"The permit was finally issued at 4 p.m. [on Monday] after a bit of negotiation since Friday. It is leaving tonight at 7 with permit and a revised route," said Kelly. "In fact, we executed an agreement with the [Rhode Island Department of Transportation] applicable to not just this trip but other loads they have leaving from Quonset. They have substantial loads they have to transport."

At 560,000 pounds, the trucks weight is seven times heavier than normally allowed to pass over state bridges wihout a permit. 

Fee Costs, Administrative Issues

"We also want to have a discussion in regard to how the DOT and [Quonset Development Corporation] can seek to cooperate, with lines of communication open to larger loads like this from Quonset. The state spent a lot of money on [the Quonset] facility, and to use it properly, users have to count on a reliable and speedy way to transport [loads]," said Kelly.

"The truck was stopped June 27 on their way from Quonset. I can't say exactly where they were, but they did have a State Police escort with them," said Kelly. "The left under the impression that everything was OK.  We followed the normal procedures that we have in the past for large loads -- we were under the impression the permit was in order."

Kelly said that Bay Crane agreed to pay the "usual permit fee," as well as money to the DOT, who had inspected the bridges the truck had crossed prior to being stopped.

"The company, in an effort to resolve this in an amicable way, agreed to pay money towards the costs DOT incurred in analyzing and checking the bridges before they were stopped," said Kelly. "The $60,000 is what we agreed to pay the DOT in an effort to resolve the matter -- and we were under enormous pressure to get this resolved."

"We're just looking for the process to be more user friendly," said Kelly. "We have an enormous amount of equipment down there. We pay $15,000 down there a month just to store equipment. The company employs 50 people -- all union, and are making a substantial investment purchasing a larger property."


Stay Connected — Free
Daily Email