Funeral to be Held for Demolished Fogarty Building

Thursday, March 16, 2017
GoLocalProv News Team

PHOTO: Flickr
For the first time ever, Providence residents can gather for a funeral for a demolished buildings. 

Doors Open Rhode Island, the John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities and Cultural Heritage at Brown as well as the Providence Preservation Society will hold a funeral for the demolished John E. Fogarty Building on Friday, March 17 at 4 p.m. 

The funeral will consist of eulogies followed by a procession around the demolition site. The event will conclude with a wake at a local bar. 

A funeral wreath will be placed on the fencing that surrounds the building’s remains, and attendees will be invited to leave mementos attached to the fence. 

Fogarty Building 

The Fogarty, a “Brutalist” concrete building designed by the Rhode Island firm Castellucci, Galli & Planka Associates in 1967, once housed the State’s Department of Human Resources.  

It is being demolished by the Procaccianti Group. 

Ceremony Attendees 

The ceremony will be officiated by the Reverend David A. Ames, Priest-in-Charge at All Saints’ Memorial Church in Providence.  Confirmed eulogists include Marisa Angell Brown, an architectural historian and Assistant Director of Programs at the John Nicholas Brown Center for Public Humanities at Brown University; David Brussat, the former architecture critic for GoLocalProv; preservation consultant Ned Connors; and Jana Planka, daughter of H. Michael Planka of Castellucci, Galli & Planka Associates. 

Additional eulogists will be confirmed by Friday, March 17.

  • Atlantic Mills 

    100 Manton Avenue. 

    Atlantic Mills is one of Providence's most highly visible  and recognizable mills. The mill structure is being utilized, the towers are falling into a state of disrepair. 

    Today, the former mill complex is used as a commercial space and includes a furniture store and carpet warehouse. 

     

    Photo courtesy of Providence Preservation Society 

     
  • Bomes Theatre 

    1017 Broad Street 

    The Bomes Theatre is a two-story, Beaux Arts-style, felt-roof, brick building that includes stone trim. 

    A sign reading "Bomes Theater" is centered at the roof line. Plywood now obscures the original fenestration. 

    After its use as a theatre, the Bomes building was occupied by Jason's furniture. This theatre could be used as a theatre once again. 

     

    Photo courtesy of Providence Preservation Society 

     
  • Cranston Street Armory 

    310 Cranston Street 

    The Cranston Street Armory was constructed in 1907 in order to house the Rhode Island National Guard. 

    The building was vacated by the National Guard in 1996 due to the rising costs of upkeep and the need for upgrades. 

    In 2015, the State's Department of Administration began a "Structural Repairs Project - Phase I" which focuses on the tower on Parade Street.

    Photo courtesy of Providence Preservation Society 

     
  • Barstow Stove Company (Tops Electric) 

    120 Point Street 

    The building dates back to 1849 and includes a monitor roof, granite window lintels, and a corbel led brick cornice. 

    Top Electric Company has operated out of the sight since 1974, however, it was sold in 2015 to the current owners who are evaluating potential uses and redevelopment. 

     
  • Ward Baking Company Administration Building 

    145 Globe Street 

    The Ward Baking Company Administration Building is a two story, brick, flat roof building  constructed between 1908 and 1956. 

    In 2011, the Ward Baking Company Administration Building was set for demolition with the rest of the complex, however, the Historic District Commission asked owners to find a solution to save the building. 

    Lifespan purchased the property in 2015. 

     
  • Gilbert Stuart Middle School 

    188 Princeton Avenue

    The Gilbert Stuart School is a public school in the West End of Providence. 

    The Gilbert Stuart Schools are in dire need of major upgrades and repairs in order to continue servicing students and their families. 

    The building is face with water damage, poor air quality, inefficient heating, and an outdated plumbing system that produces water unsafe to drink. 

     
  • Roger Williams Middle School

    278 Thurbers Avenue

    The Roger Williams Middle School is a 4-story brick and limestone public school built in 1932 in Lower South Providence. 

    The school just put in a new digital media laboratory, however it suffers from problems resulting from a long-leaky roof and a lack of modern fire suppression systems. 

     
  • Nathanael Greene Middle School 

    721 Chalkstone Avenue

    The Nathanael Green Middle School is a 3 story public school that was built in 1929 in Providence's Elmhurst neighborhood. 

    Providence Preservation Society has yet to identify issues with the building.

     
  • Broad Street Synagogue 

    688 Broad Street

    The Broad Street Synagogue was listed on the national register in 1988 after being constructed in 1910-11. 

    In 2015, the building was sold and the new owner is planning major renovations that are expect to start in the spring. 

    Photo courtesy of Providence Preservation Society

     
  • Congregation of the Sons of Jacob

    24 Douglas Avenue

    The Congregation of the Sons of Jacob was listed on the national register of historic places in 1989. The two story building was built in two stages in 1906 and 1922 and has been largely unaltered. 

    The building needs interior plaster repair as well as window repair. 

     

    Photo courtesy of James Waters

     
  • United Presbyterian Church

    619 Chalkstone Avenue

    The Church was active in the Smith Hill community in the 1970s and has served numerous congregations over the last three decades. 

    The current owner is seeking redevelopment ideas to bring the building back to a useful purpose for the neighborhood. 

    Photo courtesy of Providence Preservation Society

     
  • Industrial Trust Building 

    111 Westminster Street

    The Industrial Trust Building is one of the most iconic and recognizable buildings in the region rising over 420 feet. 

    The Trust Company became Fleet Bank before merging  with Bank of America in the early 2000s. High Rock Development purchases the building in 2008, and Bank of America remained as the sole tenant until their lease expired in early 2013.

    The Providence Preservation society said that this building may be the most critical development challenge. 

    Photo courtesy of Providence Preservation Society

     
  • Kendrick-Prentice-Tirocchi House

    514 Broadway

    The property is currently owned by ONE Neighborhood Buildings, a community development corporation. 

    The house is for sale, however, ongoing work is required to retain the state historic tax credit allocation. 

     

    Photo courtesy of Providence Preservation Society

     
  • Meader Street School 

    20 Almy Street

    The Meader Street School is a 2 story primary school located in the Federal Hill neighborhood. 

    The school is one of the last remaining wooden 4 room schools in Providence. 

    The west Broadway Neighborhood Association has attempted to purchase it for several years. 

     
  • Rhode Island Hospital Southwest Pavilion 

    593 Eddy Street

    The building is a part of the original campus of Rhode Island Hospital, built in 1900. 

    In 2006 and in 2015, RIH submitted an application for Institutional Master Plan Amendment to allow demolition of the building. It has been denied in both cases.

     

    Photo courtesy of Providence Preservation Society

     
Delivered Free Every
Day to Your Inbox